Hunting Boating & Fishing
Wildlife Management Areas (These require a WMA permit):
- Sandhills State Forest - Patrick, SC (843) 498-6478
- Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge - McBee, SC. (843) 335-8401
- Lake Paul Wallace (doves) - Bennettsville, SC
- Moree's Sportsman Preserve
Moree's offers a lodge, dog kennels, bunk houses, guides and hunting ranges as well as fish ponds and sporting clays.
Ten miles south of Cheraw on US. 52. (843) 378-4831 cell (843) 309-4126
www.moreespreserve.com email: email@example.com
BoatingCheraw State Park
- Cheraw State Park has boats, canoes and kayaks for rent by the day or hour on 361 acre Lake Juniper. Also available are comfortable cabins, a camping area with hookups for the RV traveler, tent sites, groups camps, and hiking trails. Day use facilities include an 18 hole championship golf course, playground equipment at the lakeshore, picnic areas, and scenic walking paths.
- Riverside Park in Cheraw has a boat ramp for local access to the Great Pee Dee River. Carolina Sandhills and the State Forest provide only the lakes and ponds. Numerous ponds and small lakes dot Sand Hills State Forest and Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge.
- Cheraw State Park Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge (visitors need to pick up map and regulations)
- Sand Hills State Forest, the Great Pee Dee River (access at Riverside Park on Church Street in Cheraw), and Lake Paul Wallace in Bennettsville provide a variety of warm water fishing opportunities. Non residents 14 or older must have a license to fish in any fresh waters. South Carolina has a reciprocal fishing agreement with Georgia only. Licenses are available at hardware, tackle shops and Wal-Mart SuperCenter.