Matheson HouseDuring the Civil War, General Sherman temporarily occupied this home at 612 Kershaw Street as his official headquarters while his Union troops camped under the grove of trees in front of the house. First built as a private school and Masonic Hall, this structure was completed in the early 1800's by the Cheraw Academic Society and the Masons. At that time, the academy occupied the ground floor while the Masons utilized the second floor. Also, the newly organized Presbyterian congregation used the second floor as a place of worship prior to the completion of their first sanctuary in 1832. Beginning in 1960, the building was put into service as the town's public library and remained as such until March 2, 1998 when a 5,000 square foot library built on Huger Street opened. The home is now a private residence. For more interesting tidbits about Cheraw, take advantage of the Historic Cheraw Cell Phone Tour by calling 843.865.3002.