Inglis McIver Law Office
Inglis-McIver Law OfficeShown is the Inglis-McIver Law Office, located on the Cheraw Town Green. John A. Inglis, one of the partners in this practice, was the chairman of the committee that drew up the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession from the Union. Chesterfield County was the first in the state to call for secession, and on December 20, 1860, South Carolina became the first Southern state to declare its secession and later formed the Confederacy. Inglis later served as Chancellor of the state courts, and his one time home remains at 226 Third Street. The law office for Inglis and Henry McIver was built on Front Street around 1820, and the Greek Revival structure was one of few commercial buildings to survive an accidental explosion during the Sherman's occupation of Cheraw. The building was moved to the Town Green in 1948.