Cheraw Town Council Meeting Minutes
Rules for Citizens Requesting Appearance Before Town Council
An Ordinance Amending Section 2-16 of the Town Code of Ordinances
Concerning the Appearance of Citizens at Town Council Meetings
Any person is entitled to an appearance before council at any regular meeting concerning a municipal matter with the exception of personnel matters. To be placed on the council agenda a person will be required to adhere to the following:
- Persons desiring to speak must notify the town clerk or town administrator by noon of the Friday before the regularly scheduled council meeting.
- Persons must specify what topic they intend to speak about.
- Persons will be limited to five minutes to address council. The Mayor or presiding officer may grant the speaker additional time if circumstances warrant it.
- Persons that speak on other matters not specified will be deemed out of order and will not be allowed to continue speaking.
- Mayor and council members have the right to answer questions that may be posed.
Persons not placed on the agenda will also have the right to speak at the end of the Town Council meetings during a citizen comment period. The citizen comment period is designed and intended to allow members of the public to provide information directly to the Town Council. Other than asking a question to clarify a statement council members will refrain from entering into a dialogue with the speaker. This time on the agenda is not intended to be a discussion between Town Council and the speaker and should not be intended for that purpose. Persons wishing to make comments during this time will need to observe the following:
- Person should approach the podium and state their full name and address before addressing the Town Council.
- All speakers must conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- All speakers will be limited to three minutes to speak. This time allotment may not be transferred to anyone else. The Town's Clerk/Treasurer will notify the speaker if they exceed their three minutes to talk.
- Speakers will refrain from using: profanity; language likely to incite violence or outbursts from the audience; language that is disruptive to the orderly process of the meeting; engaging in conversations with individual council members; making comments of a personal nature regarding others; shouting, yelling, or screaming.
- Speakers should understand that the Town Council cannot deliberate on any questions presented by the speaker if the question or topic is not posted on the agenda.
The above ordinance was passed on November 14, 2017.
The Cheraw Town Council holds their regular monthly meetings, beginning at 5:30 PM, on the second Tuesday of each month. The meetings are held at Cheraw Town Hall, 2nd Floor (Court Room), 200 Market St. The public is welcome to attend.
The minutes of past Town Council meetings are available to interested citizens. Choose the previous minutes you wish to view by clicking on the appropriate link below.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by DATE in Descending Order within category
Town Council Minutes11 documents
- February 11, 2020 Minutes from the February 2020 Town Council Meeting
- January 14, 2020 The Cheraw Town Council minutes from January 2020
- December 10th, 2019 Minutes from the December 2019 Town Council Meeting
- October 8, 2019
- September 10th, 2019
- August 13th, 2019
- June 11th, 2019
- May 14th, 2019
- April 9th, 2019
- March 12th, 2019
- January 9th, 2019 and February 12th, 2019